Acne blemish treatment requires lots of patience on the part of both the patient and the dermatologist.
Acne Pigmentation, acne blemishes or acne spots: Whether brown, red, or later black, pigmentary or colour changes caused by acne should not be classified as acne scars, as actual scarring does not occur in such cases. The deposition of iron pigment and stimulation of melanin pigment as a secondary response to dermal inflammation are the reasons for acne pigmentation or acne blemishes or acne spots. These are temporary colour changes and are completely reversible.
As expected, the acne blemish treatment differs from the acne scar treatment in a number of ways.
There are two types of acne blemishes:
- Pseudo-scars: Flat, reddish or brown spots, which remain when inflamed lesions regress after treatment. This flat discolouration of skin, known as macule, may remain up to 6 months. When the macules disappear with or without treatment, no mark will remain.
- Post inflammatory pigmentation: When the inflammation is severe and deep, even after the inflammation disappears, there is a dark pigmentation in the skin for a prolonged time. This is specially evident in dark skinned individuals. Sun exposure will further darken the acne spots.
Acne Blemish Treatment:
- Medical Acne Blemish Treatment
- Vitamin C 1000 mg daily for 3 months
- Tretinoin 0.05% cream/gel
- Hydroquinone or non hydroquinone lightening creams with or without Tretinoin
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids like Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid etc
- Azelaic Acid
- Surgical/Cosmetic Acne Blemish Treatment
- Chemical Peels
- Trichlor acetic acid(TCA:10-35%) : Full Face
- Glycolic Acid (GA:20-70%) : 20-70% Spot/Full Face
- Cosmelan, Mela peels etc: Commercially available peels
- Chemical Peels
- Q Switched Laser treatment and Fractional laser treatments are also effective options available for treatment of acne pigmentation or acne blemishes, often combined with topical applications and chemical peels as above.
Acne Blemish Treatment: Related Articles
- Acne Scar Causes
- Types of Acne Scars
- How to Get Rid of Acne Scars
- Acne Scars: Medical or Non Surgical Treatment
- Acne Scar Removal: Surgical and Cosmetic Treatment
- Laser Treatment for Acne Scars
- Acne Scars: Why Prevention is Better Than Cure!
- Acne Scar: FAQ
- All About Different Types of Acne and their Treatment
The information given in this article is for educational purpose only so that patients are aware of the options available for diagnosis and treatment of common skin, hair and nail diseases. No diagnosis should be made or treatment undertaken without first consulting your dermatologist. If you do so, the author will not be responsible for any consequences. The images provided are for illustration purpose only and should not be reproduced without the consent of the author.
About the Author of Skin Care Tips from Dermatologist: Dr Hanish Babu, MD
Dr Hanish Babu, MD is a dermatologist with more than 3 decades of experience in treating skin and sexually transmitted diseases in UAE and India. He has been practicing in UAE since last 22 years. He is a respected speaker during the Continuing Medical education Programmes for doctors, medical students and paramedical staff and is also a Stress Management Trainer. He organises group therapy sessions for patients with psoriasis, eczema and vitiligo.
He is available for consultation at Cosmolaser Medical Centre in Samnan, Sharjah (06 5678 200) from 9 am – 1 pm and at City Medical Centre, Al Bustan, Ajman (06-7 441 882) from 4.30 pm – 9.30 pm.
Visit his personal website dr-hanishbabu.com for more details and for educational articles on Skin, hair, nail and sexually transmitted diseases. Click here to Book an Appointment with dermatologist Dr Hanish Babu, MD